1.11.09

Early development of Baclayon

Baclayon is in the eastern part of Bohol.

It is the first municipality to be established in Bohol by the Spaniards and formerly comprised its present territory and those belonging now to Corella, Sikatuna, Alburquerque and Balilihan. This municipality was originally called Bacayan because travellers used to detour (bacay) around a rocky cliff along the shore about half kilometer from the municipal building in order to avoid going over the top of the cliff.

The town was founded in 1595 by two Jesuit priests, Fr. Juan de Torres and Fr. Gabriel Sanchez who also built a stone church which is now considered as the oldest stone church in the country. In 1879, Baclayon had a population of 11,142.

Source: Official website of Bohol

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails